Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mens Button-Up Shirt Refashion - White Collar to Purple Passion Dress

This is a tale of two shirts.
Boring, unloved, mens stuffy button up, white collar shirts.


 Which were magically transformed into this beautiful dress full of purple passion!


One of the shirts on before:


My sketch design ideas.  I went with the first sketch.


The pattern I used to help me form the bodice.


First I seam ripped off the sleeves from both shirts.  For the shirt that I used as a skirt, I cut off the collar below the yoke on the back.

I used the pattern to sketch the darts and the side seam for the front and back of the bodice.


I formed the skirt with a second shirt by using my dress form for fit.  Here it is put together.


Here it is on!  It fits!  


Now time to dye!  I wanted to do an ombre effect, so I dipped the whole dress and then slowly added more dye as I raised the dress out of the dye tub.


And here is the finished product!  I added vintage buttons and a belt from vintage fabric.


Side - I left the sleeves as is, just folded them under from where the arms were ripped off and sewed them.  I added a little vent to the side of the skirt.


Back.



The finished product on me!




For more details on how I made this look please visit my blog:

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it!!!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

This is lovely. Hope we get some good weather so you can show it off!
Sandy in the UK

Anonymous said...

Great job! Love the purple! :)
~Jen

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

very nice! I love the purple and how you added the belt to cover up where the two shirts meet. :) Lisa

Anonymous said...

SO pretty! I love the ombre effect you created.

Refashion said...

Lovely dress and thank you for the great, informative post. Very inspiring!

Debbie EOD

BubblesRides said...

Thanks everyone!