Saturday, June 29, 2013

Run away to the circus!

I had an idea to make a shirt into a vest with tails, similar to the jackets worn by the Circus Master like a tux with tails. I started with a green long sleeve men's shirt and some scrap floral fabric. My goal is to maintain the integrity of the starting item, so you can see its main components. I used almost all of the shirt to make this new top, vest combination.
I removed the sleeves and cut the front of the shirt at the waist from seam to seam with points on the front. Darts on the front to the bust shape the front. On the back, I wanted to have a pleat, so I cut it in the middle up to the the hip line. Sorry, I don't have photos of it cut apart.
Front - Reshaped the collar and created a lapel look. I attached floral fabric to the top side of the collar and inside to show on the lapels.

Side - Elastic at the waist across the back provides shape and takes up the excess fabric.

Back - I made a flower from the floral fabric and attached it at the top of the pleat.

I lined the inside of the back pleat with the floral fabric.

 With the sleeves, I made a backless top to go under the vest. You see the cuffs at the bottom and the floral fabric at the top and bottom. a ribbon goes through the top and gathers for various bust sizes. The back is made using part of the cut off part from the front of the shirt made into a band the same width as the cuffs.
Don't they look great together. Here are the two pieces together with the vest unbuttoned.

With the vest buttoned. I think it would look great with jeans, shorts or even a skirt.

I hope this will give you ideas to push yourself beyond the basics.


9 comments:

Huli said...

what a unique refashion! really nicely done :)

Sandy said...

this is very fun! I like it.
Sandy in the UK

Zom said...

Impressive, so original and nicely done. *clapping*

DressUpNotDown said...

Encore, encore!!! :o)

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Liochka said...

I impresse, it's so bautifull and a new way for upcycled a skirt. Bravo. (je suis impressionnée, c'est beau et une nouveauté pour recycler une chemise. Bravo)

Fra said...

good idea!!!

Edwina Sutherland said...

Fun idea!

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

That's really cool! :) Lisa

Refashion said...

I love the shape of this jacket. Fab refashion

Debbie EOD