Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tattered Tablecloth Dress

It's the last week of Refashion Runway! June has really flown by! If you haven't already, check out what the contestants have created for week four. This week's challenge was a summer dress, while previous weeks have had us refashioning stripes, denim, and a copycat look.

I found this week's project in my grandmother's barn last summer. It was a torn and tattered pink (my least favorite color) vintage tablecloth. It was faded, wrinkled, and had a weird smell, but I HAD to have it. My grandmother looked at me like I was nuts, but said it was mine if I wanted it. After taking it home and carefully laundering it, I folded it neatly and placed it in a drawer where it sat for nearly a year. (Like you've never done it.)

This thing needs some TLC!

I've seen a lot of ruffly coral maxi dresses lately, and I decided my granny's fugly pink table cloth would make a lovely dress. With the help of my trusty assistant, I got to work.

"What do you mean I'm not helping?"

Working around all the tears was tricky. I wound up having to cut the tablecloth into five pieces - two for the main part of the dress, one for the ruffly part of the dress, one to get rid of the tears, and one for just in case I messed up. (Hey, it happens... often.)

Click diagram to enlarge.

Once I'd gotten rid of the torn section, I sewed panel B1 to panel B2 (see diagram above). I used a straight stitch to attach the two panels, and then a zigzag stitch to keep the ends from fraying.

Pin, sew, repeat.

Because the fabric is so worn in places, I decided to reinforce the seam using some lace seam binding from my stash of random sewing things. I pressed the seam, pinned on the lace, and then sewed along each edge.

More pinning and sewing.

Next, I folded the fabric in half with the right sides together, pinned, and sewed the two ends together, creating the main part of the dress. I decided to reinforce this seam with the lace binding as well.

Even more pinning and sewing.

I took the top of the dress in about 4 inches on each side, reducing the excess fabric around the bust without limiting movement at the bottom of the dress.

Taking it in.

To finish the main part of the dress, I folded over the top edge and made a casing for the elastic. Then I ran some 1/4 inch elastic through the casing and sewed the two ends of the elastic together.

Finishing the top of the dress.

To make the ruffly thing for the top of the dress, I used one of the two leftover panels (see the diagram above). After sewing the two sides of the panel together, I folded down the top edge to make a casing like I did with the top of the dress. Then I ran some 1/8 inch elastic through the casing and sewed the elastic ends together. To finish the edge of the ruffle, I simply folded the edge over twice, pinned, and sewed.

Finishing the ruffle.

At this point, I decided I wanted to make the ruffle optional. (Because this tutorial wasn't complicated enough,  right?) To do this, I added two buttons to the inside of the dress - one in front and one in back - and two little elastic loops to the ruffle.

Close up of button and elastic.

Once the detachable ruffle situation had been sorted out, it was time for another awkward photo shoot. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't keep from laughing at myself when I'm trying to shoot the "after" shots.

Refashion Runway week four: Summer Dress

In the end all the work was well worth it, and I'm really pleased with how the dress turned out! The detachable ruffle makes the dress versatile and unique. You can wear it on the shoulders, off the shoulders, over one shoulder, with a belt, without a belt, without the ruffle, etc. Definitely a new summer favorite.

I think these two options are my favorites.

This is your last week to vote - or sew along *hint*hint* - so don't forget to check out Refashion Runway! Many thanks to the Renegade Seamstress for hosting such a great competition! I've had a blast competing and getting to know the other contestants. I'll miss the weekly challenges, but my sewing machine is thankful to have a mini vacation.


 - Elizabeth

4 comments:

Kathryn H said...

This is one of the greatest refashions I have ever seen in my life! Amazing! Keep up the fabulous work!

Refashion said...

Thank you for such an informative post - I liked seeing all the images of your

Debbie EOD

Unknown said...

Thank you! I'm glad you all like the dress.

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Unknown said...

Love the fabric and the after dress