Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, December 08, 2013

Kilt to Corset

This is a refashion I did earlier this year but as it's the festive season it will be worn again so thought I'd post it here.

I use old kilts that are ripped or have holes in them.  In other words unwearable as kilts.  I take them to bits and boil wash them until I have some lovely felted wool fabric.  More details on how to felt a kilt here and see how much fabric is in a kilt!!

I use the fabric to make cushions etc but this kilt produced a lovely fabric and I wanted to make something special with it.  Interestingly the grey colour was actually green before felting!  More details here

It is a fully lined Victorian traditional corset.  It took 20 hours to complete (with guidance from the tutor) I have 2 more cut out and ready to stitch.  One of them is refashioned from my wedding dress.  I've just returned to teaching full time so refashioning has taken a bit of a back seat atm so can only manage wee projects


Andrea said...

This is cool and I give you props for making a corset! Corsets are one of those things that I think are so beautiful, but I don't own one myself...not that I'm inspired to make one (knowing that it could take upwards of 20 hours) ;) Love that you used a felted kilt; very festive and very beautifully done!

Carissa said...

This is fabulous! Like Andrea, I'm a bit intimidated by the amount of work that goes into a corset. Kudos to you for putting in the time! It was totally worth it!