Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Fancy, Vintage Dress Fix

Here at Refashion Co-op, I'm a little out of my league when it comes to sewing. I'm a novice, and have yet to tackle anything major; just minor updates.
I've decided that the things that make my projects "special" or just worth sharing aren't the techniques I use. It's the unique items and materials that I find to redo. Therefore, I'll spare you the details of how I mastered the skill of button adding. Here's the quick version!

There's an old rag of a dress that I got for $2 because I liked the shape and it fit really well. That bow was all ripped up and faded, and the decorative buttons were broken. Oh, and there's a big, ugly rip on the thigh area!
There's a clearer picture of it before the change. And there's the bow, four buttons, and three inches off the bottom. That's all I removed!

 And that's what I ended up with! I just patched it up and added a few details. I'm so glad that I had those gold buttons in my stash. That one near the neckline isn't sewn on--I just safety pinned it from the back, in case I want to wear a necklace instead. I admit, that gold belt (that I used to wear as part of a wrestling costume) might have been a bit much. But, New Years Eve was too cold for this dress, so I just put it on to take pictures. I didn't actually wear it anywhere.

For a more detailed (long-winded) version of my process, check out the full post on my blog,  Craft, Thrift, or Die. I'll tell you how I made that hole disappear.


Andrea said...

I actually love the belt with this and think it's PERFECT!!! Seriously, the silhouette is beautiful and the dress itself is amazing! Great great great save! Bravo :)


Elizabeth Hill said...

I agree with Andrea, the belt was a good choice. Great job on the dress! You look fantastic!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

Sandy said...

The belt is wonderful with this. It really makes the dress.
Sandy in the UK

cfortin said...

I like the dress much better without the bow.

Cindy - EOD

Feeling Kinda Thirfty said...

This dress looks fabulous on you. I love it! The gold belt and buttons are perfect compliments.

Jennifer Elliott said...

Simple fixes can make a big difference. Like everyone else, I love the gold belt with the dress! Fantastic refashion.