Thursday, April 10, 2014

Bag Refashions

Above are 3 of my shopping bag refashions. They're fun and easy to make! 
 
I shop at thrift stores often and it always bothers me to see hand stitched art there, selling for just a few dollars. Knowing countless hours of effort go into stitching each of these artworks, I hate to see them discarded. I think donated needlepoints and crewel embroideries deserve a second chance. 
 
But although I think these needleworks are lovely as framed art, they don't really fit my modern home décor. So even though I've been "rescuing" them from thrift stores, they've ended up stored in my closet - which doesn't do them justice. Finally I thought of a way my thrift store art could be used, even though it didn't look right on my walls: just remove the frames and sew the canvas to the front of a thrift store tote bag. All you need to do is measure your canvas and find a bag that's the correct size.
 
For a more detailed tutorial on making these bags see my blog post at http://denversews.com/2014/02/26/bag-refashions/.

10 comments:

jesse.anne.o said...

Oh, I really like these!

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

katboulder said...

Thanks ladies! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Very nice idea, indeed. I have several pieces I cross stitched myself and removed from frames and saved because they didn't really "go" anymore in our home. Great use of items like these! I have glued them to large tin cans to use as scissor holders, etc. Never thought of your idea... until today!

Hugs,
Kelley~

jennifer elliott said...

Ooooh, a woman after my own heart! I have a serious issue when it comes to totes and bags. I think I would rather browse a selection of totes instead shoes. I absolutely love what you did with the totes -- saving cross stitch pieces. Great job!

katboulder said...

Thank you Jennifer & Kelley! It's so great to read your positive comments on my creative endeavors!

Andrea said...

I'm really excited by this because I as well have invested in a few of these pieces and have removed them from the frames with 'plans' to do 'something' with them ;) Great inspiration!! Thank you :) Such a great idea for covering up the conference information on the outside of our totes (hubby brings them home from every conference and as a professor we've collected a few).

Andrea EOD

katboulder said...

Yes, Andrea it's a great way to use those free promotional totes from conferences! And one of the totes I showed was created from a clothing store promotional bag that was free with my purchase.

Amy Jo said...

Great re-use idea!!! I've covered a few totes with pretty fabric from my stash in the past, but I like the idea of taking something that was tediously hand made and giving it new life even more!

michele said...

I like to make them into pillows, it pains me to see them unappreciated.