Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Tuxedo shorts

For a few years now, I have had these too-small shorts in my drawer. They were an optimistic purchase when I was losing weight, but I never got to be quite small enough for them.




I decided to add a stripe of black fabric to each side seam to mimic the look of tuxedo pants. Digging through my scrap stash, I found some black sleeves left over from this project.



I cut 3" wide strips from each sleeve, then examined the shorts to figure out how best to open the side seams. I thought I would have to cut them, but the waistband also had side seams. So I got out my seam ripper and got to work. Once the seams were open, I pinned then stitched my fabric strips into both sides. I top-stitched either side of both stripes to stitch down the seam allowance. It was really difficult to get a good shot of the stripes, as they are pretty subtle, but here you go.


And a close-up of the shorts from the side...


Although I am glad to have another pair of shorts in the rotation, I am afraid these won't get a ton of use in the hot weather, since they are black. Therefore, I have been plotting several refashions involving cut-outs and lace panels. Stay tuned!

-Amy


1 comment:

IWOM said...

Ooooo -- schoolgirl error, that buying things too small with the idea of fitting into them eventually. Best to get to the weight you want then treat yourself (says the girl who lost another 2kg this week).

Thankfully, we have refashioning as Plan B. I for one would not turn down a too-small item if I reeeeaallly liked it -- or what it was made of -- and thought it had SOME sort of future with me. If this blog proves anything, it's that pretty much anything can be refashioned!

Make sure to keep us updated on their next incarnation.

IWOM: EOD