I decided to add a stripe of black fabric to each side seam to mimic the look of tuxedo pants. Digging through my scrap stash, I found some black sleeves left over from this project.
I cut 3" wide strips from each sleeve, then examined the shorts to figure out how best to open the side seams. I thought I would have to cut them, but the waistband also had side seams. So I got out my seam ripper and got to work. Once the seams were open, I pinned then stitched my fabric strips into both sides. I top-stitched either side of both stripes to stitch down the seam allowance. It was really difficult to get a good shot of the stripes, as they are pretty subtle, but here you go.
And a close-up of the shorts from the side...
Although I am glad to have another pair of shorts in the rotation, I am afraid these won't get a ton of use in the hot weather, since they are black. Therefore, I have been plotting several refashions involving cut-outs and lace panels. Stay tuned!