Monday, March 30, 2015

Upcycled Blankets by Missy Bonkers

Upcycled wool blankets by Missy Bonkers

Hi my name is Tina and I established Missy Bonkers in 2009. “My background initially was in theatre costume design and directing. I then re-trained as an interior designer and colour therapist and went on to work within the design industry and the retail sector. While working there I became aware of the sheer quantity of waste, in particular domestic and commercial textiles.”

As a reaction to textile disposal I began to collect and reuse the fabric in many different forms from soft sculpture to restyled vintage clothing to wall mounted appliqué and hand-embroidered images creating functional designed pieces from toys, clothing and accessories, to patchwork quilts, and soft furnishings. 

Over the years the idea had blossomed and eventually Missy Bonkers was born. Since May 2009 I has been actively restyling clothing in particular, creating an awareness of slow fashion that is both individual and unique, while also encouraging awareness of how clothing can be restyled to prolonging the lifespan of a garment, rather that disposing of it. 


I am register member of the Crafts Council of Ireland and a member of the Education Panel of the Crafts Council of Ireland.

My work and blog are available online at www.missybonkers.com

One of my latest upcycling projects is Blanket Coats & Shawls, upcycling vintage Irish wool 
blankets.


Taking a wool blanket and turning it into a sleeveless coat with some specifically placed cuts and bias binding.


2 comments:

Refashion said...

We are glad to have you here as a contributor! The blanket coat looks great, and very striking

Debbie EOD

Gina said...

Fabulous refashion, lovely photography. Please post more.