Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Shibori dye technique

This large hooded shirt came into my possession some time ago. I knew I would never wear it with SO MUCH PINK. I'd been thinking about dyeing it, and when I found this shibori dyeing technique, I thought it would be fun to try. If it didn't turn out, it would be no big loss.

Following the dyeing instructions, I folded the top accordion-style the long way.

Then I folded it accordion-style the other way. It ended up in rectangles about 4 x 6 inches.

Then I bound it with rubber bands. I tried to space them out evenly and bind the fabric tightly.

I put it in the washing machine with royal blue dye. It might have come out with more contrast if I had used actual indigo dye. I'll try that next time.

The pattern came out well, but now it was all pink and purple, and I still wasn't crazy about it. Fortunately, my daughter thought it was great, so I passed it along to her.

I'm glad I tried this technique. I'll definitely use it again in the future.

Thanks for reading!  - Amy


Joy C said...

Very cool, Amy. Thanks for the idea and photos of your process. How cool that your daughter fell in love with it!

cfortin said...

I think the pattern turned really nice. I like the pink but I can't wear it either.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab