Sunday, August 21, 2016

Refashion Runway: Buttons

For this week's button-themed Refashion Runway challenge, I transformed this oversized faux wrap dress into a simply elegant button-up shirt dress.

Refashion Runway: Buttons

I removed the ties and zipper, then separated the sleeves, bodice, and skirt. I took in the bodice and skirt at all the seams, then shortened the skirt and cut it up the front center before reattaching it to the bodice. I trimmed off the criss-cross points of the bodice and created button bands using the original waist ties. I reworked the cuffs so as to lengthen the sleeves slightly, and I used bits left over from the ties to add little button straps to keep the cuffs up. Then I reattached the sleeves to the dress and took them in at the same time.

Refashion Runway: Buttons

Refashion Runway: Buttons

For the buttons, I pilfered a dead tree branch from a neighbor's curb and sawed it into little slices. Then I drilled two little holes in each slice, sanded them, and rubbed them with lemon oil to bring out the wood grain. Once I knew what size my buttons would be, I added a million button holes to the button band on my dress and hand-stitched on my buttons.

And for a little something extra, I used an old belt, a piece of a broken necklace, a broken zipper, and several gold buttons to create a couple bracelets to go with my new dress.

Refashion Runway: Buttons

Refashion Runway: Buttons

For more details on my refashion, go to CarissaKnits, or go to The Renegade Seamstress to vote for your favorite!

Refashion Runway: Buttons

7 comments:

Sassy said...

Impressive! SSB. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

whatthesew said...

You really must get extra points for making your own buttons from an oak twig.

Jo said...

how did you go from picture one to picture two, I can hardly believe it. Clever sewing. x
http://joeveryday19@blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

Terrific remake! Congratulations! Beautiful job! Clever girl! :-) Jillian

alyrocco said...

Great transformation!! : )

Unknown said...

incredible. it looks like a completely different dress. i dig your style.

cfort82 said...

Very cute

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab