Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The experiment

Hello Refashionistas! One of my goals for myself this year is to step out of box, use new fabrics, try new things, clean up my lines and experiment. I have a tendency to not try new things because what if I screw it up... but I decided what the hey, I need to stretch myself and try to get better... so I picked a 1980's cream colored turtle neck sweater with linebacker shoulder pads... now, my bad, I always forget the first before  pic... but I'm sure you have seen these sweaters, at some point....but once you see the first pic I did take, you will get the idea... the actual turtleneck just hung way down to my hips (at the wrong spot)... so I cropped it at my waist... then I cut the 2 inch border off the bottom and reattached it at the new waist line... I hope you can can see I moved the border up...
  
I then cut the turtle neck off and cut it in half right up the middle... I sewed around these areas. But I noticed that up the front it was bucking a little, so I put some bias tape just on the underside for stability and lace on the top for decoration...
I tried it on and noticed that the line that should be at your shoulder had now fallen to about 3 inches off my shoulder causing me to look like the hunchback of Notre dame ... by now If I wanted to keep this as a cardigan I would have to move the sleeves... so by now, I was like ' well you don't even have a box to step out of, so go big or go home'.... so I moved the sleeve, creating a 3/4 sleeve... fixed the neckline and my experiment was done... I'm proud of myself simply because this was out of the box and way more than I have ever done before... now I'm excited to try more stuff... here is the final cardigan... it's far from excellent and it ripples a bit and my attached sleeves have a pucker or two... but all in all, it not too shabby for stepping out of my box! 
  











5 comments:

RanchHouse said...

Whoo Hooo!!!! For stepping out of the box. Turned out great. And think of the skills you gained with this project. Thanks for motivating me to give those "what if" projects a try.

whatthesew said...

I think your experiment was a success.

Saga said...

Bravo! Cudos for stepping out of the box. I think it is nice.

/Stine - EOD

I Can Work With That said...

Cute little jacket! Sometimes things don't work as I hoped but that's when you can really get creative. Great job.
Chickie

Unknown said...

Cute! And congrats; I am the same way. You're inspiring me to be less inside my box now :)