Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Edgy Leather Shoulders

As the weather starts to warm here in Michigan, it's time to start working on some new summer clothes!
DSCN1923
I thrifted this sleeveless shirt because I liked the pattern and it was a nice soft cotton material! However, the white was just too plain.
DSCN1925
I used Rit Dye's Wine box powder dye.
1st: Dissolve the powder dye in 1 cup of HOT water. Fill a washer machine with HOT water (enough so the fabric can flow freely).
2nd: Add 1 cup salt (for cotton fabric), 1 Tablespoon detergent and the dissolved dye to the washer.
3rd: Rinse the fabric in HOT water and add that to the washer. Use an extended cycle.
4th: Once the washer is done filling, be sure to set the water temperature to cold (for the rinse cycle).
BE SURE to clean the washer IMMEDIATELY. HOT water and 1 cup bleach.
Once the washer is done filling, be sure to set the water temperature to cold (for the rinse cycle).
img_4114
The dyed shirt left the white buttons, which stood out like a sore thumb. I changed all the buttons to black buttons.

img_4112
I turned the shirt inside out and placed it onto my dress form and pinned the sides in to make it more fitted.
Once more added detail...

img_4113
I took these leather pockets off of this jumper. I used the material to sew onto the shoulders.

img_4610

img_4615

img
Happy Refashioning!!!
Check out my stash of refashions on my blog!

3 comments:

I Can Work With That said...

Wow, the new color is great and the shoulders are fabulous!
Chickie

g.satansbraten said...

Dear Marisa,

since there seemed to have been technical problems whilst commenting on your blog, I repeat it here and kindly ask you to perhaps/please pass it on. Thanks in advance!

" " "

@ Mother Deer
… yep and might turn more and more worthwhile since buttons seem to turn more and more expensive in some countries.… and the ‘fix&ready’ packaging of ‘factory-estimated amounts’ of buttons, where one has to opt for another FULL and expensive pack of buttons for JUST one/two additional ones needed ^^!… sometimes it’s even worthwhile to entirely ‘re-design’ any buttoned garments into none buttoned ones ^^!

@ Marisa
Smart Idea; well done; thanks   !

" " "

Katydid said...

I like the addition of the leather shoulders. I've opened shoulder seams on sleeveless shirts before to add fabric to make them fit better (as I grow bigger LOL). The black looks good on this shirt and you've extended the black part further towards the back of the shirt than I have before. I'll try that the next time. I like the way it looks.