Saturday, February 11, 2012

Octopus Clutch

I have a gift exchange coming up requiring a gift that is handmade.


Using bartered pastoral upholstery fabric, swiping a couple thrifted purse straps for shoulder and wristlet slings, and cannibalizing a zipper from a duvet from Value Village, I made this purse.


The lining was gifted, the bias tape from Goodwill (neither are shown). The D-rings were the only new purchase for this project.



The upholstery fabric was perhaps more worn out than I had realized, and there were some holes developing in certain spots. I embroidered an octopus on the parts where there were holes, backing it with another layer of the fabric and with some fusible webbing. The recipient loves octopuses, so I thought it'd be a nice addition. I used only what embroidery thread stash I already own, so I have mixed feelings about its efficacy on the fabric. But then, cephalopods are known to blend in well with their surroundings when they want to.


No post on this project at my blog until tomorrow night, so the recipient doesn't get to find out her gift before the party. But you're welcome to check my blog out in the meantime. I even have a post on sewn cephalopods.

Update: The post on the bag can be found here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous!