Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fabulous Vintage dress, finally wearable!

I might not be known here as being hesitant when it comes to cutting into vintage garments. However, this was different. I got this beauty from my aunt, and the craftsmanship that went into it is just amazing. So I underlined and shortened it entirely without making any permanent changes...





























It's made out of a gorgeous white eyelet fabric, meticulously sewn and with a perfect fit! What was wrong with it? Well, it was basically, uhm, see-through. It dosn't look that objectionable in the photo, but I would never have gone out on the street like that, wearing only a skin-toned bra and panties underneath...
 If you are interested how I copied down the pattern...







...and sewed it into the dress (by hand)...








...come visit my Blog-Post at Of Dreams and Seams: The Promise of Summer!








Now all we need are rising temperatures!
Best to all of you,
Katja

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This dress is so pretty! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

Great idea for fitting a lining! and I agree about the temperatures. Please - any day now would be fine! we had 3 days over the weekend, but I want more.
Sandy in the UK

ETHEEA said...

Stunning dress, before and after - actually way better after :).
http://etheea.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

Oh fantastic. I am totally a sucker for lace. I love how you have made the alterations without permanently changing the heirloom.
And I love, love, love the bubble effect at the hem <3
Do come over and share on the linky party before it closes tonight.

Eddie, EOD

Come over and ‘like’ Eddie's Room on Facebook for some crafty ideas and conversation. :-)