Wednesday, October 23, 2013

MFAM Week 5: Fairfield Flashback

MFAM header copy
Week five of the My Favorite Art Museum series is here! Okay, so week five was supposed to be here a several days ago, and I’m even later than I was last week. I can’t even blame my car this time. (Dang it!) I’ll try harder next week. Promise.
This week we’re looking at the Nelson-Atkins’s modern and contemporary collection. My inspiration comes from Fairfield Porter’s The Mirror, a dual portrait of the artist and his (very bored) 10 year old daughter Elizabeth.
IMG_0736cDetail of The Mirror, 1966
I started with these three underwhelming pieces.
before copyImpressive, right?
I started with the sweater, shortening the sleeves…
sleeves
…before moving on to removing the zipper. Using the knit “ribbons” from either side of the zipper, I added details to the front and back. I used a pin for the closure at the neck, and added large brown buttons for embellishment.
sweater detail copy
And at the end I had a lovely new cardigan.
Orange Sweater 2 - 19 October 2013 copy
Then it was time to move on to the yellow blouse. I began by altering the back of the top.
back
To alter the front of the top, I removed the old darts and added new ones that fit my dress form.
dart
After the major work had been done to the front and back, I took the top in several inches on both sides and finished the edges around the arms.
Yellow blouse - 19 October 2013 copy
By now I was running way, way, waaay behind, so I tossed aside the sliced up “to do” skirt in favor of my refashioned wool skirt from earlier this year.

 I pulled the look together with some red tights and recently refashioned grown up saddle shoes.
Believe it or not, this is not the first time I’ve recreated Elizabeth’s outfit. Way back in 2008 when I was a museum guard, I dressed as Elizabeth for the Nelson’s staff Halloween party. (You can find a dorky photo of me and the original costume on my blog.)
Will week six’s project be done in time? You’ll never know if you don’t check back this weekend for the next MFAM installment. And remember, please don’t touch the art.

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging at www.TheHungryOctopus.com!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with that cardigan and the whole outfit looks fanastic :)

Jennifer Elliott said...

That is awesome and amazing! Great job!

April Rogers-Krick said...

So cute. I love this outfit. They have all been great. This is a cool series.

Carissa said...

I adore the front detail on the cardi. Nice touch!

Magda said...

This seriously is an inspiring refashion. =D

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus