Saturday, October 08, 2016

#16 Back to School: Black Lace Updates Skirt

*I pledge not to buy any new RTW or thrifted for my after retirement "Back to School" wardrobe.
*I pledge to shop from my closet.

BEFORE:
·         Green Poly Skirt from the closet, refashioned MANY years ago. 
·         1st refashion for this skirt was from a dress. Top of dress was removed, elastic waistband added, and dotted bias trim added. Bias dotted trim was made from another skirt. Now, green doted trim needed update.

STEPS:
•                     Remove green dotted bias trim at hem
•                     Serge hem of skirt to remove older edge and freshen edge.
•                     To prevent bulk, did not turn under hem. Baste and stitch lace from the stash. 

AFTER:
•                     The lace makes this skirt look like a just bought skirt.
             At the new school “lace makes the look”.

I HAVE LEARNED:
Rewards of being a Re-fashioner include:
•                     The large pre-retirement wardrobe is being updated.
•                     I am in the older group at the school. I try to balance not looking dowdy & outdated with
not looking silly in the younger fashions.

Challenges of being a re-fashioner:
•                     Even with something just finished, new ideas pop up.
•                     I find a need to make even a small change in everything I wear.
•                     Never enough hours. 
After: 2nd Re-fashion.
Black lace added.

After: Black lace.

Green skirt on the
Re-fashion rack in the sewing room.

Before:
Skirt with dotted hem

3 comments:

whatthesew said...

You are an inspiration. I enjoy reading about projects from such an experienced refashioner.







RanchHouse said...

Thank you whatthesew. I learn something new from this group everyday. I treasure the support we give each other. It is good to have others who "get it"

I Can Work With That said...

I really like the black trim, it is the perfect compliment to the green. Very nice.
I also feel like I have to change something about whatever I am going to wear. sometimes 5 minutes before I am leaving the house.
Chickie EOD