Monday, June 01, 2020

Reimagined Raincoat




For once I remembered to take before pictures.  Sort of.  This is more a repair than a refashion though, so the base coat is the same.

This is one of a series of raincoats that are given out as part of the kit for my kid's high-school exchange.  Given it happens every year (and how many raincoats do you need in a dry climate?) this one was on its way out.  But I didn't want to donate it as it has her name and school etc embroidered on it. So firmly that it was never coming off.  I know because I tried until I made holes.




Additionally it had accumulated a large number of tears like this one.  They were very visible when repaired so they needed to be covered, along with all the identifiers.  It's a very well made coat and it's lined and cosy.  With lots of interior pockets.  So I decided it was all mine.


I spent a lot of time planning this refashion and it got quite elaborate before I calmed down.  There was going to be stenciling and embellishments and applique and embroidery...in the end I used recycled denim circles and a little embroidery for detail.






The denim circles were made with a sewing machine attachment that sews a perfect circle.  It fits into the bobbin cover / plate hole, you spike the fabric at the appropriate radius, set the stitch type and length - I've used a zigzag / satin stitch - and hit the pedal.  I made a lot of circles so I could play with placement and have many left for other projects. They're designed to fray at the edge.

I've already worn this a few times since I finished it and it's great to wear.  Unlike some raincoats, this one breathes so I don't overheat while striding around, and it cuts the wind.  It also has a hood if I get caught without an umbrella.

Happy refashioning!

Mimi




1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

I like the added denim. It looks great.
Chickie