Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bucket Dye Skirt

Hello refashion lovers, Erica here, I am on Editor Duty today here on Refashion Co-op. I am enjoying all of the wonderful creations shared with our group, it is all very inspiring - keep up the good work folks!

Over the past week, my family and I have been away on a short interstate holiday to the absolutely stunning beachside town of Byron Bay, in the far-northeastern corner of the state of New South Wales, Australia.

Before we left for our wee holiday, I managed to sneak in a little refashion, along with a little sewing.

Firstly a skirt I picked up in my local church based op-shop for 50c. Stained and shrunk in size, but I could see potential in it.

I had a fair bit of dye leftover from my last jar dye experiment, so progressing from dyeing in a jar to dyeing in a bucket (!) I went for a dip dye effect this time, firstly dunking the entire skirt into teal dyed water, then left the bottom 10cm or so in the bucket for around three hours. Rinsed, hung to dry, and ironed and here we go..






More of that over on my blog

Sewing-wise I also made a travel toothbrush holder out of a trouser leg of the shorts refashion I did a few weeks ago


And a jacket for my new laptop using fabric and buttons from my thrifted stash, two hair elastic bands.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

So cute, thrifty and creative!
I've gotta say, all you refashionistas have me looking at the thrift store racks in whole new ways!! I am trying to be good though, and only buying things if they are REALLY good deals! I've got some dying to do though.

Lovenicky said...

Wow! So creative. I love your skirt and the other 2 refashions in this post. I'm now itching to try your jar dying method!

poet said...

The skirt looks amazing! And the other projects are also so clever...