Monday, May 02, 2011

Indigo!!!!!

Here is a top I made out of a fabric remnant and the remains of an old shirt (that has a new life in three new pieces of clothes) Hand sewn because I'm and Alabama Chanin fanatic. but still not quite what I wanted.




Here it is after my first time using real indigo..
loved it, will use it a lot I think, or as much as I can stand a blue wardrobe.



and on my blog with more pics, including some other things that went into the vat.
http://spindlejigs.blogspot.com/2011/05/indigo-girl.html

4 comments:

Becky said...

I like the dye job! It looks much better than the original recon, IMO. And I agree that Alabama Chanin's style is very inspiring--she pretty much single-handedly made me rethink my former loathing for hand-sewing.

Unknown said...

Ok it's no secret that I love anything dyed with natural dyes and this is a wonderful example of this. It has come out very nice. How did you find working with indigo. I always heard it was quite bothersome which is why Cecile and I were so thrilled that we managed to get blue with Black Beans - very easy (http://www.roued.com/colours-colorwheels/).
take care,
Eddie

Spindlejigs said...

I loved the indigo, i bought it in a kit at a craft store and found it easy to word with, messy and smelly, but easy to clean. I really like the fact that if you save the bloom that forms on top you can save the dye vat for up to a week. the color is beautiful and my kids thouth it was like magic when it changed colors

Jenni said...

Dying is ridiculously fun! I need to do it more...the natural colors are so yummy.
Jenni
eod