Monday, September 16, 2013

New look on the blog

OK so quite a lot to tell you all about so let me just begin at one end and hope I don't forget anything.

Let's begin at the top with the header. We finally got around to getting a new header for the blog. My husband, John, has just started his illustration business and was looking for a client to test this idea he had of drawing a virtual room. I pitched the concept to the rest of the editors and they liked it. So here is the Refashion Co-op's very own virtual room. ta-da!
For the rest of September John is hosting a giveaway, where you can win your very own "virtual room" illustration. The prize is basically this listing on Etsy. You can enter on his Facebook page or on my blog for now.




Moving down the page I want to point you all to the menu. Doesn't look different from the home page but if you go check out each of our pages you will see that we have changed quite a bit. This is all thanks to the skills of the IWOM (check out her blog A Life Without Clothes). She has transformed our text into a new and clear format. Thanks IWOM :-)

Now lets take a look at the sidebars. I have moved that sign-up form away from the right sidebar. It was just taking up too much room and was frankly a bit ugly. You will now find it on the Join us page where it belongs. Remember those big buttons with dead links to Twitter and Facebook. Well they have now been replaced by these pretty buttons by dindin from dindin does ... .

Last but not least I want to tell you about something that I didn't have time to add today but which will come soon. We are going to have some badges in one of the sidebars soon for the blog editors. All the editors do such an amazing job keeping this blog going and it has always been the idea that they would get something out of it in terms of advertising for their own blogs or shops here on the Refashion Co-op. So now it's going to happen (soon).

So let me know what you think about the changes around here :-)

Thanks,
Eddie



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I usually abide by the principle, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all," but I've gotta say...I don't think the new banner at the top is an improvement at all.

The old scissors/dotted line logo was clean, simple, and quite attractive. This one is busy, proportionally awkward, and unpleasant. It is a good advertisement for neither the illustrator (whose other room drawings, at the link provided, are much better than this) nor the "cause" of refashioning. I'm sorry to sound like a "Debbie Downer," but I think this should be considered a work in progress...as in not done yet.

~A daily reader and avid refashioner (although not a member of the co-op)

Sandy said...

I like the extra pages to take some of the details from the sidebar.
not so sure about the heading image

Sandy in the UK

Unknown said...

Quite startled by Botox Cartoon Woman on your new header. I thought it might be clip art, but when I scrolled down and read this was done by a professional especially for you, wasn't sure what to think?

Lots of refashioning involves scissors and NO sewing machine so why did you have to get rid of the scissors? It sounds to me like you changed the header only to promote the artist. Are you changing it back after the artist's give away?

Other fixes are fine. Some pages seem a lot more short yet still have all the details you need to know about how it works. The pinterest link didn’t (ever?). The do / don't page looked unfinished for a long time like nobody bothered to finish the idea.

Grade: Pass for the new text and working links, could try harder on the things that escape the margins (pictures, badges ) and fail for the mad woman in the attic header.

J (reader from the start, former WR pledge)

Unknown said...

Quite startled by Botox Cartoon Woman on your new header. I thought it might be clip art, but when I scrolled down and read this was done by a professional especially for you, wasn't sure what to think?

Lots of refashioning involves scissors and NO sewing machine so why did you have to get rid of the scissors? It sounds to me like you changed the header only to promote the artist. Are you changing it back after the artist's give away?

Other fixes are fine. Some pages seem a lot more short yet still have all the details you need to know about how it works. The pinterest link didn’t (ever?). The do / don't page looked unfinished for a long time like nobody bothered to finish the idea.

Grade: Pass for the new text and working links, could try harder on the things that escape the margins (pictures, badges ) and fail for the mad woman in the attic header.

J (reader from the start, former WR pledge)

Unknown said...

Sorry - me again. I have no idea why my comment showed up twice. My apologies. I only use this google email to comment on Blogger blogs when comments are not allowed unless you sign in. Anybody can leave a comment on my blog without the hassle.Maybe that is something you could change too and make it possible for readers to leave comments without needing to have a certain email provider.

J

concretenprimroses said...

Sorry I don't like the header either.
Kathy