Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Enlargened 'bed sweater'

I just had to own this, even though it was slightly felted and too small for me. I loved the pattern, the muted grey and white colourway, and it was 100%  wool = warm.
Also I have a thing for clothing with a history, and couldn't bear for this not to be valued.

It is a sengetrøje. I couldn't find an English word for it, but it translates into 'bed sweater'. It is a traditional piece of clothing, that you would wear over your night gown. The original Scandinavian lounge wear ;-).

I opened the sideseams and the underarm seams and sewed a matching piece of fabric to each side
(See how here: ).

I decided to remove the ties, and use brooches to close it instead. I gives a more clean look.
I wear it with my great grandmothers brooch from her national costume. I think they suit each other.

And since this is modern times, and I have central heating, I will probably wear it as a cardigan, rather than sleep wear.


Anna said...

I. love. it. When you're done with it, send it to me!! ;-)

jenny_o said...

Very nice! We call that a bed jacket in my part of the world - they are no longer common but were worn by ladies that were bedridden due to age or infirmity or having a baby :) I love how you made it bigger and the brooch is a great replacement for the ties.

jennifer elliott said...

I love everything about the refashion! I love the beautiful added stripe and the brooch. Great job.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Kelley said...

SEW cute, and it's 100% perfect now!

Happy weekend,