Saturday, August 06, 2016

Refashion Runway: Velvet

The latest season of Refashion Runway is finally here! And we're kicking it off with a velvet challenge! This 90s crushed velvet dress had giant shoulder pads and was a bit too snug and too long, but I loved the color and the strappy details on the upper back.

Refashion Runway: VelvetRefashion Runway: Velvet

I felt like this was just too much velvet for one garment, so I decided to cut it in half and make two different things. I removed the shoulder pads and the sleeves and then cut the torso from the skirt at about the waist level. Then, to supplement the velvet skirt portion, I pulled out an old refashioned top I never wear and salvaged the sheer polka dot yoke.

Refashion Runway: VelvetRefashion Runway: Velvet

I joined the polka dot yoke to the velvet skirt and also replaced the polka dot collar with a velvet Peter Pan collar made from the extra sleeve fabric. Now I've got an adorable dress for fall date nights or a winter holiday party!

Refashion Runway: VelvetRefashion Runway: Velvet

Refashion Runway: Velvet

With the top half of the velvet dress, I finished the armhole edges and used more fabric from the old sleeves to make a bottom band to complete my shirt. I needed a cute high-waisted skirt to wear with my new cropped top, so I pulled out this autumnal beauty from the spring clothes swap, chopped off the bottom 6 inches, and finished the raw edge.

Refashion Runway: VelvetFloral Boho Skirt Refashion

And there you have it! Another great outfit that will be perfect for autumn!

Refashion Runway: Velvet

Refashion Runway: VelvetRefashion Runway: Velvet

Feel free to visit me at CarissaKnits for more details and photos. Then go check out the other competitors' work at The Renegade Seamstress and vote for your favorite!

Refashion Runway: Velvet

4 comments:

Gema said...

I love the velvet collar, really brings the dress together! And you're right - both are so perfect for the Autumn, fab work! :)

RePurposeFul said...

Very creative, and they both came out fabulous :)

I Can Work With That said...

Wow, 2 for 1. I love them both. The velvet is nice broken up a little, but I am glad you were able to use it all. It's a great color.
Chickie EOD

leaf said...

Very good, two dresses!