Wednesday, February 27, 2013

1930's-ish Dress

Sometimes even when I'm excited about a project, if I put it down for awhile, then I become unwilling to pick it up again.  I have a different dress I'm working on, but have somehow hit a slump.  So in those cases I pick up something that only takes a little effort to finish.  Here is an example.  Someone gave me this dress and it sat in the drawer for a while, because it was too short for my taste.  I guess you could wear it with leggings but I somehow never do.  The black and cream and the bow made me think 30's, but the shape and length said
Brady Bunch.
                                   


 I found a cream sweater on the bottom of the closet that matched perfectly and cut a 4-inch section off the bottom and off of each sleeve, so I would have a finished edge.  I was able to put two pleats on each side, front and back, and added some buttons (not sure about these, thinking of maybe smaller ones?) I think it looks more 30's now, which is one of my favorite decades. I saw a picture in my "Everyday Fashions of the 1930's as Pictured in Sears Catalogs" book that showed a sweater outfit and it had a belt made of the sweater fabric.  Do you think I should make one, out of the leftover cream? 

9 comments:

Nettie said...

That is SO cute!!

Jean said...

Great job! I like it with the dark belt. Really nice looking on your.

primcreek said...

I like it just the way it is. It is lovely!

Unknown said...

I really love that idea - I am not too fond of wearing too short skirts either so I will be keeping this in mind .
Eddie EOD

Unknown said...

A lovely job!

Unknown said...

That. Is. STELLAR. I wouldn't do the sweater belt- the black looks much more smart, much more in keeping with the era that you're going for (despite the catalog depiction). You've done an amazing job on that dress!

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Great refashion and it looks wonderful on you! My opinion...keep the buttons and the belt just like it is.

Ernie's Mum said...

Wow! What a difference. Lovely on you too.

Helena A. said...

Hi!
Great work!!!
Love it so much!
The buttons have the right size, so don't change them!!!
Kisses from Portugal.