Thursday, June 23, 2011

Skirt is Shirt

Recently, I invested in a new dress form! I can’t believe I’ve gone so long without one. It’s like having a clone I can use to try on things, experiment with drape, and pin! I haven’t decided on a name for her yet.

I decided to let her help me refashion this skirt.



Now, this is a perfectly nice skirt. Sadly, it’s too small for me (a size 0…crazy!), plus it has a couple of small stains on the waistband that I couldn’t get out in the wash. Happily, it was a freebie!

I decided to turn this skirt into a top. First, I cut out the lining. Then, I put it on my dress form upside-down and pinned it where I wanted the neckline and arm holes to be, and ran it through my machine to make sleeve-ish things. :)

Now I have a fun, blousy top made of oh-so-very-soft silk. You can’t even see the small stains due to the way my the fabric drapes.






You can see a more detailed tutorial of how I made this top happen right here.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Love, love, love this!