Saturday, June 18, 2011

A few weeks back I had a fun rainy afternoon with a bottle of Rit and some unwearables....
A few hours later, 3 denim blue garments. 1 a hit, 1 a Hmmmm and 1 a meh......
The Meh are the linen trousers on the right. The colour was very patchy indeed, so these will be relegated to gardening duty. The hmmmm is the top. Great colour effect, but still has work to be done on the style I feel.

The hit in my view is the skirt. I adore the shape and the yoke detail. It's super comfy and flattering to wear after a simple length alteration. I am LOVing a line skirts right now, and this has already been well utilised for MMJ...

Best of all is the effect that the dye has had on the print. It's still subtly visible, exactly as I had hoped, but with an aged denim look which is kind of reinforced by the "jean like" seaming, belt loops and hip yoke.
It's proving a great addition to my summer (what summer?! Grr!) wardrobe.
Have you experimented with fabric dye before? What are your top tips?? My second round with the skirt and top combo was more successful. I think because I used a less diluted solution than the instructions dictated AND used boiled water from the kettle to keep the temperature of the water up. It seems to be though, that the final colour is somewhat unpredictable and dependant on factors too numerous to mention. Which makes it a bit of a hit and miss process, but kind of fun in a "see what happens" kind of way.
Px

4 comments:

BopBop said...

When I've dyed things in the past I've always used the powder dye. It seems to work better at even coloring than the liquid does for me. And I always use rit as it comes out the color on the package.
I tried dylon and it was sad. Just pathetic.
I use the washer and set the water to hot to start wit ha cold rinse. I go in with a pole(aka broom handle) every 15 minutes and check the saturation of the garment by pulling th item out of the dyebath and inspecting it. Not the color I want? Back in it goes and I rest the washer to the beginning so it won't rinse the bath out.
I found it typically takes about 2 hours for a nice rich color and obviously less time for less intense colors.
All fabrics dye differently too. And some won't dye at all with this kind of dye. The more cotton the better if it's a blend only the cotton fibers will dye. The natural fibers literally have openings in them that SUCK the dye out of the bath. It's neat! I learned this through "dying" wool yarn with koolaid on the stove. The dye would suck into the yarn and the water became more and more clear.
Once it's as dark as you want let the washer finish the cycle, then dry in the dryer on normal heat to help it set.
That's my tips. I've never done it on the stove so not sure how the dye works that way but I'd assume the principal is similar. Keep it warm/hot, keep it in till the desired color is achieved, agitate often, and rinse then heat to set/dry.

Unknown said...

Thankyou Eliea. I don't have access to a washing machine for dyeing, so a bucket in the bath is my only option at the mo.Although I like the idea of stovetop dyeing...just need to get a massive stock pot or something!
Px

Sandy said...

I use dylon here in the UK and get brilliant results - both machine and hand dyes. It only works on natural fibres though. It is Rit I have found to be as Eliea said, 'pathetic'. but it is a bit better for fabrics with synthetics in them.
Sandy in the UK

Refashion said...

They look good -, especially the skirt. What a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Debbie
EOD