Monday, August 29, 2011

Scarf to Sheer Pullover



I collect scarves. I don't wear them, though. Oh, I put them on sometimes, but I always second-guess myself and remove them before I make it out the door. So, my new goal is to turn the scarves into something that I will actually wear. My first project is a definite winner. Here's a project in pictures:




This is the original scarf. It was square, black with bright purple and yellow and red abstract flowers.




I used a t-shirt as a pattern to cut the neckline. I think that I made it too big (I didn't realize that it would stretch so much!), so I'd make it smaller next time. Just big enough to fit over my head would be perfect; this one keeps slipping off my shoulders.




I handstitched a rolled hem on the neckline and sewed the sides together to form sleeves.




Voila! The finished project. It's a great way to dress up a tank-top without having to actually put on any more clothes, which is awesome in the 95+ degree heat we've been having lately.

4 comments:

American Nanny said...

OMGosh! I could have written your introduction. I collect scarves also. I sort them and store them so they're easily accessible. I try them on and then put them back and walk out the door without them. You've encouraged me to start getting creative with my scarves also. Maybe we'll start a dueling scarves refashion posting - LOL

Refashion said...

That is such a clever and pretty use of a scarf. Was it very fiddly to sew with? Looks lovely and cool too for your hot weather.

Debbie
EOD

emma said...

That looks so good, what a lovely idea.

iMade said...

No, it actually wasn't hard at all to sew with. I thought it would be much worse, but it went like a breeze. I think I'm going to try a bigger scarf next time so it doesn't hit me quite so badly on the hips, though.

American Nanny, next up I'm going to show how I refashion scarves into flower hairpins and brooches. I find them so much easier to wear!