Friday, March 24, 2023

A Quilted Skirt and Bag

 Hello Refashion Co-op. I found this amazing quilted skirt at a swap. It was so cool I took it home an thought for a while about what to do with it. 

Before and after, and after.

The skirt had zippers on both sides so if I shortened it too much I would have to remove a zipper. I liked how the zippers looked so I made the skirt as short as I could with out changing the side zippers at all.

When it came time to take the skirt in I realized I couldn't make new side seams because of those zippers. I made a new seam down the back of the skirt. I took the skirt in more at the waist and less in the hips but the new seam made it all blend in and look like it had always been that way. I used my serger because the nylon material and the batting was a fraying mess. I thought the material was really difficult to deal with. I don't think I will work with nylon again soon.

One of the reasons I kept the skirt as a skirt is because I could use the scraps to make a bag. I thought a little crossbody bag would be so fun. I made this basic rectangle shape and thought it would work out so well. (Spoiler- It did not turn out well.)

I used this belt as the strap. It was the perfect size and material and it was right here.

This bag was a mess. It seemed great when I put it together but it was a mess now. 
 
I cut it up and salvaged what I could. I made a new smaller bag. I started sewing and realized the strap was inside out. I was mad as heck at this point but that just made me more determined to make this bag.

My bag is still large enough for my phone, cards, lip balm and keys. Y'know, the really important stuff. Thanks for reading along. To see more details about this skirt or this bag go to I Can Work With That.







3 comments:

Anielskaaniela said...

aww that's just awesome ! I love it and this color 🥰

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you so much! It was a bit of a fight but that is the fun right?
Chickie

Anielskaaniela said...

yes! :) and you did it great