Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Refashioned Refashion Cowl Neck Scarf

Hello Refashioners!

This post comes from the question of what to do when a refashion goes wrong...

2 of my first refashions were done in order to try and save some of my hubby's shirts that I
love - super soft cotton and some awesome vintage/geeky images. I tried to make them both into tops but that didn't work. The brown one was a victim of my lack of realizing I needed more room in the bust area. This was so bad it even looked skimpy as a bathing suit cover. The second fell victim to a side knot tshirt refashion that just didn't turn out right - it was too baggy and I cut it too short (I'm only 5 foot with the torso of a 4'8" woman so the shorter a shirt gets on me, the worse I look). I tried to salvage purple one into a big baggy purse (inspired by a post by refashionista about converting tees to grocery bags) but the fabric was so stretch it wasn't going to hold much before giving out.

So what do so with these fantastically soft, completely ruined tshirts... make them into scarves! I've always loved cowl neck scarves but have never been able to find any for a reasonable price
that I am willing to pay. So, I first chopped off my straps from each tshirt and the bottom seam from the purple shirt. I loved the little nintendo graphic on the brown tshirt so I managed to salvage him for a later project. I then cut each shirt into one continuous strip of fabric. I only had time to finish one scarf in my allocated "craftiness time" so I focused on the brown one. I ruffled the entire strip of fabric using the good ol' basting stitch and pull method, went back over with a permanent stitch, and sewed the 2 ends together.

VOILA! A great ruffled cowl neck scarf for the coming fall! Please ignore the horrendous looking picture - it was a long hot day out with the hubby shopping and building ikea stuff.

Much love,
Heather

1 comment:

Refashion said...

Very nice!

LalaLauren
Editor on Duty-Wednesday