Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Finishing a year old refashion!

Ok, so I finished the bottom half of this refashion last year...I had found this dress at my local thrift store and loved the color and style, but upon trying it on, it was just a little too much.


So, I cut it in half, finished off the top of the skirt with the elastic already in the dress and then started work on the top half...

But I never finished it! Until today! I had toyed with the idea of layering different lace trims to create a bottom half for the top, because it was essentially a crop length...way too short to wear with anything but high-waisted skirts and pants. I came back to the top several times, but never was completely convinced on how to finish it off. Remember this leather skirt refashion from the other day?


Well, I had some random scraps left over, including a section of the original bottom hem, which cut into two strips and sewed end to end was just long enough to fit around my waist. This I attached to the bottom of the top adding snaps to the two ends that I hadn't sewn together creating an attached belt. Here are the pics of how I finished off the top!
Cut off the sleeves to get more of a 3/4 length flowing sleeve, so I finished off the sleeve edge with lace trim sewed on, then folded under and topstitched.
Top left: sewing the leather onto the unfinished top. Bottom left: the side closure with snaps...not fixing the wonky stitches since they won't be seen! Top right: the snap closure. Bottom right: the attached belt snapped close.
Love the sheer fabric, the blousing that the leather belt creates and how great it looks with the high-waisted maxi :)

Seriously excited about how this turned out!!!
I am SO glad that it took me this long to finally finish it...a little bit of leather is all this sheer top needed! Can't wait to pair it with some high-waisted black trousers...or high-waisted flare/wide-leg jeans...Oh the possibilities! One thing I did finish off all that time ago when I cut the cuffs off was to make them into this awesome bracelet :)
Might add some leather scraps to this too...or lace...or both? :)
3-in-1...can't get a better deal than that! Hope you all enjoy this one and gain some inspiration...Keep up the awesome work you all post here, I love it!
Peace,
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant use of the original dress!

Anonymous said...

I am in love with that pleated skirt!

Andrea said...

Thank you, Frances! And Tara, I love it too... AND they are so in right now, aren't they?! Nothing wrong with being current ;) Being of the same sheerness as the top, I wear this amazing vintage lace slip underneath...Love having pretty things even if not everybody gets to see them :)

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Everything looks beautiful but I have a special soft spot for quirky cuffs.The cuff looks great as it is but I can understand the fun to be had in adding to it.