Monday, May 27, 2013

Serendipity Dress

Ever have a project that just won't work? You've tried everything you can think of, but nothing works. Nothing. This is not that project. (That project has been tossed into the "bag of failure" and may never see the light of day again.) This project turned out almost exactly as I imagined it would. I know. I was shocked too.

I started with an old dress I picked up in one of those $10/bag sales I like so much. It had a fabulous print, but a horrible shape. With a little inspiration from the internet, I knew what I was aiming for.

Meh...

Since I had plenty of fabric to work with, I ditched the seam ripper and reached for the scissors. I removed the sleeves, collar, and the button closures down the front. Then, I cut the dress in half, altered the neckline, and started fitting the top of the dress to my dress form.

Snip, snip, snip...

Next, I used a tutorial from the Renegade Seamstress to create the ruffly part around the top of the dress. I lined mine in lightweight black cotton so it wouldn't have noticeable seams.

Ruffly thing in the making.

After attaching the ruffly things, I reattached the button closures to either side.

Getting there.

To finish off the area around the new neckline, I used the ends of the sash belt that came with the dress originally. I pinned the pieces of belt around the neckline, and sewed them on. Then I flipped the piece of belt down to make a little collar.

Because a popped collar just won't do.

I used the rest of the belt to finish the front edge of the top, and some wide bias tape to finish the elastic casing in the back.

More and more sewing...

Before reattaching the bottom half of the dress, I added a few pleats to remove the bulk around the waist. I also lined it in the same black cotton I used for the ruffly things. Then, I sewed the bottom and the top of the dress together, ran some elastic through the casing in the waist, and finished the arms off with some bias tape.

New favorite dress!

The refashion went off without a hitch. And boy, was I surprised! Someone has a new favorite dress for the summer.


 - Elizabeth
   aka The Hungry Octopus

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really cute dress! Thanks for sharing!

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Cool print. Very nice refashion. Ruffles are the icing on the cake.

Cucicucicoo said...

Whoa, what a difference! I love how the ruffles go down where the buttons are and how you encased the edges in the collar and under the button placket. Nice job! :) lisa

Patchwork Pastries said...

I love this! Everything you make is always so perfect, and tasteful!

Unknown said...

That is so pretty. I can understand you are happy with it.
I hope you will come over to the dress refashion page before the links close tonight and share it.

Eddie EOD

Come over and ‘like’ Eddie's Room on Facebook for some crafty ideas and conversation. :-)