Monday, May 27, 2013

From Inappropriate to Funky!


My 5yo daughter found this "dress" at a market and took a real shine to it - I think the neon pink and texture of the dress was the attraction, and for $2 a refashion attempt would not be wasted. The dress fit her as it was, but a little bit inappropriate and impractical for a 5yo. Initially I thought I could just tighten the elastic and add some straps but on closer inspection the elastic was pretty much sewed into the top hem so a bit more thought was needed.

In the end I cut off the elastic top hem leaving an allowance to allow it be  sewn on later. I had some black stretch denim fabric left over from some another outfit, so just drew a rough short kimono styled top and sewed it to the top of the dress. I used foldover elastic to finish off the neck and the used the original elastic hem for the arm cuffs.

The Daf now has a funky original dress for less than $3, the FOE would have only been about 50c and I got the stretch denim from a factory outlet of an Australian clothes retailer for even less than 50c for the amount I used in this refashion.  



I have made 3 other outfits from this stretch denim and striped jersey from the same retailer but I have not included them here. They are within the spirit of this blog, as the offcut fabric would be headed for landfill otherwise, but they are not strictly refashions. Although I have to admit that despite the time and effort involved, they don't look any better than this refashion which took me less than an hour.  That is part of the beauty of refashions, someone else has already done a lot of the work for you!


If you are interested in seeing other outfits that I have refashioned and made, please visit my blog:


Cheers
Mary D
Orange Who? At least it's not all Pink and Blue


2 comments:

Refashion said...

Great dress! I love the way you gave it a high neckline - it looks so cute asnd sparkly on .

Debbie EOD

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Adorable dress and daughter.. Love what you did with it.. I found your blog from SarahLiz's sew along.. I am so excited about this ...using up your stash.. Happy sewing. Judy