Monday, May 13, 2013

Spring t-shirt refashion #3 - asymmetrical gathers

So, I have had this huge Old Navy t-shirt forever. I never wore it anymore, since I am no longer an XL, but I hung onto it, of course. Today was the day to make something out of it.


The sleeves were too long, so I flipped the hem under and sewed them with a straight stretch stitch. Then I took in both sides quite a bit, from the armholes to the bottom seams, using a well-fitting t as a guide. I wanted to go for an asymmetrical look, so I played around with pinching the fabric on one sleeve until I got it right. I drew a line along the spot where I had pinched it, from sleeve to neckband. 


I sewed two rows of long stitches, gathered it as tightly as I could, and sewed the ends of the gathering stitches in place.



I used some of the excess material I cut off from the sides of the shirt to make a tube of fabric. I wrapped it around the gathering stitches to hide them, then hand-sewed the ends together and stitched it in place on the inside of the shirt. I stitched some of the gathers together on the inside for good measure.


Here's the finished look. It only took me about 30 minutes to do this refashion. Of course, it was too cold to wear it like this today, so I tried it with a long-sleeve t underneath. I think it works!


Thanks for reading! - Amy



3 comments:

Sandy said...

love the asymmetric ruched look!
Sandy in the UK

Adele said...

Oh I absolutely love that. Am going to be giving that a go myself. Thanks for sharing.

Adele - Editor on Duty

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Looks great. The ruched sleeve is inspired while adding interest and detail to your tee.