Saturday, September 10, 2011

Seasonal Transitions Challenge: oversized skirt to kickpleat skirt

Kickpleat? I think that's what you call these things.


The other day I found this size 20W Boden skirt in the thrift shop and fell in love with the colorblocking, asymmetry, and geometric shapes. The colors are summery but the weight could pass for spring and fall in San Francisco, so I whipped it out for this challenge. As you can see, it was about 13" too big for me as well as 2.5" too long (I like my skirts to fall below the knee, but not that far below the knee).


First I hemmed both the lining and the skirt shorter, then treated both as one piece of fabric. Because I wanted to keep the pockets, I knew I had to refashion this from the center instead of bringing in the side seams. I simply folded it in by 6.5" at the middle back to create a back seam, and then created a 6.5" boxpleat down the center front.

(Back seam, edges trimmed and zigzagged)

(Front boxpleat. I stitched it down partway and then topstitched it to reinforce the pleat)

I don't think it's too noticeable that there's a new center back seam, do you?

Just as I was finishing this up, my roommate walks in and says, "Oh, those are my favorite colors!"

Sigh.

So I'm giving it to her. Which is just as well. I love it and think it's adorable, but if I'm honest with myself I probably wouldn't wear it as often as I'd like ... and I like the clothes in my closet to pull their weight! Which just means ... an excuse for another refashion!

If you're looking for more skirt refashion ideas, feel free to drop by!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jessica, this is great! I really like your front pleat.

Refashion said...

Such a great skirt Jessica. You did a very good job resewing it. Your room mate is lucky!

Debbie
EOD