Thursday, September 29, 2011

Reinventing my Collections xx




My sewing/crafting vibe at the moment is focusing on using up my enormous stash of "collected items". I am a chronic collector/op shopper and a little bit of a hoarder so in order to show respect to my "found things" i am slowly re-purposing my lovelies into functional/practical and pretty items that can be used rather that just "stored" on a shelf.

I got the idea for the table runner from a post i found that someone had made a kitchen rug out of pot holders. OOhh i thought!! ive got a few pot holders.... . I thought a runner would be good because it can be functional and a nice talking point too. I stitched it all together using coloured wool and did naive stitching like cross stitches and little bows and knots. The photo of the runner on its own is pre-stitching and in the photo featuring both tablecloth and runner is completed.

Ive also made a table cloth out of tea towels and doilies (yet another collection i have ). all very shabby chic to fit in with my shabby chic tastes.
The pic of the table cloth and runner ensemble was from a "girlie dinner party" i had recently. So much colour and texture on that table!!! Everything looked so colourful and happy. Even the vegetarian feast and the plates (yet another collection) all worked in well together. What a great night we had!! xx

Now i just need to find a "functional" use for my buckle collection, button collection, tie collection, doiley, fabric.............
xx grin xx Kelly

4 comments:

Lil said...

I love that idea for a table runner out of potholders! My table never has enough room for a table runner (I keep my things around me to remind me what I need to do, and then there are my crosswords and sudokus)! But I love the idea, regardless!

Brianna Renee said...

love your collection! :)

jewelrygirl said...

I love the vintage potholders sewn together! I posted it on Pinterest, I hope you don't mind:) I am going to try this!

Lollean said...

Awesome use of pot holders. The vintage table setting is spectacular too. Looks like it was a fab party. Well done!