Thursday, June 28, 2012

Old Shirt + Old Bedding + Packaging = RuffleBack Dress



Hi again!  It's Mandy from Mandy Made.  I wanted to show off my latest, and favoritest upcycle.


I originally thought this dress would be dubbed "The Mullet Dress."
Thankfully my husband had a better idea.  We officially call this dress the "RuffleBack Dress" (a nod to JT).
Besides, this dress is all party in the front AND the back :)



It started with this shirt that I inherited at the neighborhood yardsale.  Once I saw it I immediately thought it would make a great dress for BB.  

I played around with some ways to incorporate the ruffles. The idea to cross them in the back came because I figured that would be the best way to use the most of the ruffles.



From the moment I saw this shirt at the yardsale I knew that it needed a large ribbon; either pink and red.  I just had this vision in my head of the way the contrasting ribbon would compliment the ruffles.

Then I found it as we were redecorating BB's room.  One of the blankets from her bed came packaged with this gorgeous ribbon. It was too beautiful to toss out.

Last, I used some of the ruffles from her old bedskirt.  The fabric was already gathered; which meant I wouldn't have to make the ruffles myself.  One less thing for me to do :)

I have a complete tutorial on my blog.  Thanks for reading :)










2 comments:

Agy said...

This is very clever!

Mandy said...

Thanks so much!