Saturday, September 10, 2011

Seasonal transitions-suit satchel

Hi It's Róisín, this is my first refashion :P yay! It's early Autumn here in Scotland and the school term has started. The huge gap in my Autumn "wardrobe" was a nice but practical bag for school. This year has seen the return of the satchel, but being a vegetarian, I don't wear leather, so finding a hard wearing but good looking bag is difficult so I thought, why not make one? And what is more hard wearing than a wool suit? So I scooted up to Glasgow and found an xxl blue pinstripe suit in oxfam. Unfortunately I have no before photos but this is (ROUGHLY) what the original suit looked like.




























I made up measurements by roughly following a design I created by measuring my largest textbook, and piling all my stuff up to get the depth. very technical stuff :P

















This is what the finished bag looks like. I lined and piped it using some funky remnant material and curtain cord. Overall it turned out ok :) It has pleated pockets on the front, pockets on either side and pockets on the inside lining. I made those using the original inside pockets from the suit and some homemade bias binding. The"D rings" are belt buckles. I was at my Gran's whilst making it and she kept saying how good the quality of the suit was and asking my uncle what size he took :P Oh well, it makes quite a nice bag now!

1 comment:

Refashion said...

Well done :) I love bags and satchels. I make bags out of upholstery swatches and other recycled fabric remnants. It's fun trying to design something out of what little you have in front of you, then seeing the end result!

-ErikaH
EOD