Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Could Dance in Euphoria

Brace yourselves people, I love this refashion.

I started with a plain 'ole big and white button down blob of boredom.
(It's my dad's but don't worry, he has around 7, hopefully he won't miss it, or notice.)

(Now we come to part 1 of what made this refashion so beautifully joyful to do.) Serene Teaz (a lovely nearby tea shop) graciously gave me a bag of their tea that had been already brewed. This was just so nice of them and allowed this refashion to be even more SAVE THE WORLD-ey and even less WASTE-ey. So anyway, I used this tea to dye my shirt (instructions here) just to give it a little texture, personality, and a vintage look.

Result of step 1:
So maybe you can't tell so well in the above picture but the shirt is now not white and instead more of an off white/almost tan color. I can't say I was super happy with it so though it was perfect for the first refashion created from this shirt, I plan to re dye it before I refashion the rest of the shirt.

OK so I originally just planned to make this shirt more cute but first I chopped off the bottom. I chopped off a solid 8" and I can't pass up fabric scraps. Rather than allowing myself to hoard the fabric like usual I told myself to figure out something to do with it PRONTO.

(By the way my name is Audrey)

So I said to myself, "Audrey, what are you going to do with this...

"

And this is what my brain came up with after wearing it various ways on my body around the house all day...


vest (aka the refashion)- bottom of dad's button down and old ties (see below)
dress- Urban Outfitters ByCORPUS (On sale for $19.99!)
model (aka my very best beautiful and wonderful friend, Jacqueline)- priceless (CHEESY!) (her modeling this for me was part 2 of why this refashion is so great)

SURPRISE! Now it's a halter top vest!

If you'd focus your attention to the strips of fabric on the back of this garment I'd like to point out these are the skinny parts of ties left over from when my oh so excellent sister and I made this tie skirt...



skirt- thrifted and my dad's neckties
model- Emma (my splendidly nearly perfect role model of an older sister)

We got the idea because we saw a skirt like this in a store once, check for a tutorial here.

Oh man, that was long.
Keep on truckin'.

oh, and check out my new blog (if you'd like)!

2 comments:

La La Lauren!!! said...

Wow Audrey! I love the vest with the back part being ties! So inspiring! Way to go on using all the fabric! :)

LaLaLauren
Editor on Duty-Wednesday

dater36912 said...

Very inspirational!