Monday, July 18, 2011

RPG and fried marbles jewelry

I've been trying my hand at making jewelry baubles and pendants.  Here's what I have so far...

First, pendants made from RPG die, like d20's and d10's.  My first one is below.  I wanted a "classier" 1920's feel to it.  My niece (a pre-teen) wants me to make her one as well.  So what that she doesn't play RPGs yet.  A little geekiness is a good thing!


And I'm also going crazy with fried glass.  I am making baubles out of the smaller ones and will make pendants from the larger ones.  I already attached one to a choker, but don't have photos yet.  Earrings are in the future, but I also have other ideas as well.


I love the effect but am still in the 'trying to figure out the best methods' stage.  I've tried several methods thus far, and I'm getting better.  Mainly, I am learning a lot about how the glass compositions may really effect the final results.  The amber flattened marbles barely crack and I speculate that the dye used for the amber color might be part of the issue.  I plan to make more fried glass, and also will be teaching my older sister and my oldest niece (not my older sister's daughter) how to make them.  I may even make one special one every year, on my daughter's birthday.

If nothing else, they are quite lovely.


I hope to get more pictures of the finished pieces using these marbles.  My coworkers really like them and I told a couple that I'd give them some if they didn't mind testing them out.

I also have several sewing refashions I'm planning out.  Excitement abounds.  :-)

4 comments:

Erin said...

Everyone needs a little geekiness. Love the d20 necklace. I have lots of random dice floating around from incomplete sets, might have to upcycle some.

Corina said...

Love it! I don't play but I'd wear it too. It just looks cool.

Refashion said...

very cute jewellery!

Debbie
EOD
Mondays

MankyCat said...

Thanks, guys! :-)