Sunday, April 21, 2013

Refashioning a refashion and my new leather skirt

Remember this silk dress refashion I did?


Well, the extra wide lapels were a bit of a mess once I'd finished and I haven't worn it once.


I decided the best way to fix/update this piece would be to add either some sort of ribbon or bias tape to give the lapels more structure but then had the inspired idea of adding leather! So, I ventured out to my local thrift store and happened upon this leather skirt:


Now, I like this skirt as is...it fits perfectly and is a great length (oh, and pockets!!!). I have a lot of skirts this length, though, so I decided it could use some shortening. I chopped a few inches off the bottom, pieced them together to form new lapels and sewed them onto my dress. Then I simply hemmed the bottom of my now shorter leather skirt. Here's how they both turned out!




I love the new edgy look to my dress, and a black leather skirt is a great addition to my wardrobe :) Can't wait for a chance to wear both and am just waiting for the weather to warm up another 10 degrees or so ;) Hope spring is blooming for all of you in the Northern Hemisphere and that you are enjoying all of the beauty that is unfolding (I know, super cheesy, but I love spring!). So, improvement on the dress? Give me your thoughts :)
Peace,
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow

3 comments:

Sandy said...

looks good! now you need a leather belt...maybe in a bright colour? and then a necklace to match the belt.
Sandy in the UK

Refashion said...

I love the reinterpreted lapels. I'd be wearing that tomorrow! -Seeks, EOD

Unknown said...

You look amazing in your leather skirt. have you thought of leather pants as another item?