Sunday, July 07, 2013

Tumeric Yellow Shirt

I'm back after a week-long vacation from my sewing machine! (Or maybe it was a week-long vacation for my sewing machine?) Today's project started out as a white embroidered top with puffy, ruffly sleeves. I really like the embroidery. I really didn't like the sleeves.

So much going for it and against it.

The refashioning was easy. I cut off the sleeves, took in the sides about an inch, and finished the edges with white bias tape.

Easy peasy!

The dying wasn't too difficult, but I did make a mess. (Surprised? I wasn't.) I used a tumeric dying tutorial from fellow Refashion Runway contestant Zibergirl Sews. I set up my pot of water, added tumeric, brought it to a boil, and then lowered the heat. After wetting the shirt in a bowl of tap water, I added some vinegar to the tumeric/water, and put the wet shirt in.

Pre-mess.

After stirring the shirt around for about five or ten minutes, it was the color I wanted. (Some of the color will rinse out, so you might want to leave it in a little longer.) I tossed the shirt in the washer to rinse out the excess dye, and realized my hands and nails were a bright, lovely yellow.

Yeah... That's not gross at all.

Once the shirt was dried and pressed, it was ready to go!

The color of sunshine!



 - Elizabeth
   aka The Hungry Octopus

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! :)

Refashion said...

Great color! I think I'm surprised every time at that wonderful shade of yellow. :) -Seeks, EOD

Anonymous said...

OMG YELLOW! really great re-fashion and you have made me aware of a tumeric dyeing

IWOM said...

A manicure AND a refashion -- how efficient!

IWOM

Carissa said...

Love the embroidery and the new color! Fabulous!

DressUpNotDown said...

What a transformation!!!

Haha, and I like what IWOM said!

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com