Monday, September 09, 2013

My turn to ask for help!

As Carissa has just demonstrated, asking for help from our peers really can be the difference between a botched refashion and a perfect outcome! Seriously can't get over how great her pin tucks came out on her re-refashioned top :) Well, so I have a refashion that didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped...on a hanger it looks fine, but on my body...let's just say I'm not posting that picture ;)

Here is a dress I thrifted a couple of months back...

 Ha, my face here just kills me...I don't think I meant to include my head but even so I could have tried to look somewhat pleasant. Oh well. After having laundered the dress the hem fell a couple of inches below my knees (whereas before it reached just above my ankles=awkward length). I decided what I like best about the dress really was the top, and a few holes I found in the back just helped to confirm that a top would be the outcome.


So, I chopped it just below the zipper and then cut out a 2 inch strip where all the holes were.


 Isn't the back of this just darling? Another reason I saw this more so as a top.


My plan at this point was to attach the bottom portion of the skirt at the waistline of the top folding it over on itself in order to create a peplum top. I did so by pinning everything in place and then stitching it down making sure to leave the zipper accessible in the back.


And here's my new peplum top!!! Cute, right? Weeeeeeell, it no longer fits. I can zip it up, barely. By stitching the bottom portion in place, I effectively created a waistline that was no longer able to stretch as the original did. When I put it on, the peplum does the opposite of what it's meant to do and emphasizes my tummy, while the sleeves are just too big and flowy. I'd like to change the sleeves to a slight cap (I think this would be super flattering), and I'm thinking of just chopping off the peplum and incorporating a different fabric to create a new bottom portion for this top...I'd like to get rid of the zipper also and maybe use that same "different" fabric to fill in the space and make the existing ties functional...does that make sense?

Anywho, I'm fishing for feedback and ideas here...I'd love to hear from you all and benefit from the years of experience you all have on me ;) Help! Thanks in advance!

Peace,
Andrea

4 comments:

Carissa said...

Hhmmm... you could remove the peplum and reattach it with a zig-zag stitch (assuming you used a straight stitch originally). That should give it a little more stretch.

Although, I actually think the texture of the bodice has enough interest on its own, so maybe no peplum at all. Just hem the bottom edge and be done with it.

I like the idea of chopping off the sleeves too. Either sleeveless or cap sleeves would be an improvement, I think.

Whatever you decide, we'd love to see pics in the end!

Refashion said...

I agree that a cap sleeve would be more flattering. If you left off the peplum altogether would it be too shirt? I a, intrigued by the tops I have seen recently combining jersey knits and woven fabrics. How about a jersey knit peplum?

Debbie EOD

Unknown said...

Why not keep the peplum but add an extra piece of fabric in a v at both sides and add darts?

www.angelfairydust.blogspot.com

Jean said...

What about turning the bodice around? You could then use the ties in back and re-do your peblem so it fits the way you want... also the sleeves would be cute in a shorter cap. Just my opinion. Good luck.