Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Baseball T dress

With all my recent work on t-shirt transformations (here, here, and here), I started thinking about making a t-shirt dress. I had two XXXL baseball shirts, one gray and navy, like the one below, and one white and navy. They were made from that lovely, soft cotton that is slightly thicker than a standard t, and they were $1 each at a yard sale – a definite bargain.


I decided to use the white one for my dress, but I accidentally deleted that “before” picture. I also lost the snap I got of the navy t-shirt scarf that I used for the skirt. It was about 5 feet long and 15 inches wide and had a lovely flower motif on one end. Hope you can imagine it.

I started by taking in the t-shirt, from the sleeve cuffs all the way to the bottom hem, to make it more fitted but not too snug. I cut the scarf into four equal lengths, sewing each pair of pieces together along the longer edges to create a square-ish shape. These became the front and back of my skirt. I used the finished edge of the scarf as my bottom hem and sewed the sides together.  I added two small darts to the back of the skirt so that the dress would not be too boxy.

When I tried to put the shirt and the skirt together, I realized that the shirt was still too wide and had too much fabric in the back, making it weirdly baggy back there. Rather than taking in the side seams, I unpicked the bottom 6 inches of the seams and took the extra inches out of the back of the shirt only. This made the width of the shirt equal that of the skirt and stopped it from looking baggy. Then I used a zigzag stitch to sew the shirt to the skirt.

Here’s how it turned out.


And from the back...


It is super comfy and perfect for a warm summer day.

Thanks for reading!
-Amy

3 comments:

concretenprimroses said...

Very nice. You did a great job fitting it.
Kathy

Hawk3ye said...

Excellent job! Looks very trim.

Adele said...

Very nice. Looks very comfy aswell. Thanks for sharing.

Adele - EOD