Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ruffle Dress Refashion

This was my first clothing refashion (and my first post on here by the way) and I am addicted! This was also a no-waste refashion. I got the dress for $3 at a thrift store.

I was stupid and didn't take a before picture, but it looks like the before shot of the dress in this post:

It's pretty much the same, except mine had a piece of teal ribbon tacked down in two places to seem like a be a belt. Here's what I did:
  • Cut off several inches from the bottom
  • Took off the ribbon and used it as bias tape for the hem
  • Use half of the fabric from the bottom to create the ruffle around the neck
  • I cut the strip of remaining fabric in half and made two small, loose ruffles which I attached to the armholes to make sleeves.
It was so much fun! A friend even borrowed it for a theme party. She was supposed to be a 1940s farmer. Here's me in the dress (it's a yucky cell phone picture):

...and my friend
.

I definitely will be sewing up some more adorable things in the future, but I don't have a sewing machine. I have to wait until I go home to use my mom's.

PS: I blog about clothing and feeding yourself cheaply at my new blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lovely, big fan of ruffles!!