Friday, July 13, 2012

Recycled Bridesmaids Dresses


I hate dresses that don't earn their keep. If it has sat in my closet without being worn in the past year, it's time to go or be recycled. Bridesmaids dresses are the biggest offenders.While I loved both of these dresses (and the dear brides who chose them), I was never going to wear them again. The turquoise  (David's Bridal) was too small and the navy (J.Crew) never fit quite right through the bust.


I started this project early in the week, but it turned out to be more than I bargained for - a driving-in-the-dark-without-headlights kind of sewing excursion. My tutorial isn't fully illustrated, but I try to explain what I did for the parts with no pictures. In principle it's fairly straightforward, but in practice the chiffon is so darn finicky.





1) I used the skirt from the turquoise dress to make a chiffon overlay for a spandex shell...
2) Removed and shortened the navy one's skirt...
3) Sewed the two pieces together at the waist...
4) Added a cool zipper...

And voila!




Come visit me at Wunderbar if you're interested in the details!


5 comments:

SewingScientist said...

This is a great use of the dresses!

Bridesmaids dresses are a big conundrum for me. I have 2 satin bridesmaids dresses i would love to refashion, but I can't think of anything other than bridesmaids dress that I would wear made of satin...

jessica said...

Very clever! I love this look and never would've guessed it came from 2 bridesmaid dresses - what a nice way to preserve memories while keeping the dresses in rotation. Nicely done!

Zoe said...

Excellent work! That's such a cool new garment xx

Ernie's Mum said...

Looks cute. Love the colour combination.

Huli said...

very cool refashion!