Thursday, July 19, 2012

recycled rubber

Money For Old Rubber, Part 1

Recycled inner tube rubber.


This is my first ever blog post and what better place to start than Refashion co-op. One of my passions is recycling, up cycling and refashioning. I am a recent fashion and textiles graduate and it is my pleasure to share with you my "money for old rubber" project. You may be wandering what on earth is the above image. This is where I began after collecting many shapes and sizes of used inner tubes from bicycles and mini motor bikes. Starting by cutting them all into strips, I began to realise that the very nature of these pieces was for it to curve, some were flatter than others and so I continued to separate into piles of similar shaped ones.
I continued to cut in different ways, some straight across some cutting all the way up creating thin long strips, all of which began creating interesting shapes. The next image shows how I strung these pieces up to hang at my exhibition at university.



I do not want to give away everything all at once and I hope I have encaptured enough interest for you to follow this blog to find out what I did next. Below is one last picture for today just to give you a taste of what is to come and if I do say so myself it gets much better. Stay tuned and thank you for reading!!!













5 comments:

Andrea said...

Bold necklace! Love your use of rubber! My husband keeps me in good supply of tubes from cycling and I've been gathering ideas on how to use them...jewelry, oh yes, please!

Dominique said...

I love that you studied the shapes of the pieces. I will definitely be on the lookout for more creations from you !

Agy said...

That's very creative! Well done :-)

Refashion said...

Lovely, and welcome to the blog! -Seeks, EOD

Cucicucicoo said...

congratulations of your first blog post, which i found fascinating! i like using inner tubes, too, but i never studied them like you. i love what you did with them! :) lisa