Friday, July 13, 2012

Swimsuit Refashion

Today I have a whole new respect for the swimsuit industry.  I'll admit that there have been more than a few times that I have bad-mouthed them; perhaps even used expletives. 

It just seemed like they could never get it right.  I mean, if the intimate apparel industry can get it right, why can't the swimwear folks get it?  We women are not all the same size and shape.  And, for goodness sake, can't a mom have a cute swimsuit that is actually flattering? 



I give you exhibit A:

This swimsuit looked adorable on the internet model.  And, it looked adorable when I opened it up. When I put it on... well... it was OK.  However, I felt the need to wear a well-fitting bikini top underneath it.

I wore it to the pool.  I was excited.  I got in the water.  I looked like I had a giant wet blanket draped over me.  I was unhappy.

I still really, really wanted to love this swimsuit.  So, I took it in on the sides.  It looked pretty good after that.  Unfortunately, it was NOT comfortable.

The culprit?  These cute little white straps beside the (shall we say) chest area.  They start on the sides and are supposed to tie behind the neck.  The problem?  It really hurts to have a wide slab of spandex supporting your chest when starts below your armpit, goes around your shoulder and ties in the back.

That's when I knew I would have to do something drastic.  I certainly did not want to waste this super cute bathing suit, but I was not willing to be in pain.  And finally it hit me... A BIKINI!!

Yes, I was nervous.  I have no serger or fancy sewing equipment.  And, let's face it, the last place you want to have a major wardrobe malfunction in at the neighborhood pool.  But at this point, what did I have to lose?

You can learn all about my swimsuit overhaul here. I like to think that I saved this swimsuit.  Tonight I am in love with it.  Fingers crossed for no wardrobe malfunctions tomorrow...

3 comments:

Ashley Doll said...

It looks wonderful! I, too, have the same gripes about swimsuits... I'm curvy, so how are little triangles with strings supposed to support my bosom?! And all the good ones are out of my price range... I'm sewing my own swimsuit, too!

Refashion said...

Wow Great job! Yes it looks like it would be meant to be a bikini!

LaLaLauren
EOD

Mandy said...

Thanks so much ya'll! I really appreciate your kind words :) Thanks for checking my project out!