Monday, August 20, 2012

A Clutch from Vintage Linens

At some point I inherited this from my grandmother. It originally belonged to either her mother or grandmother, but the stains had made it unusable and it then sat in Nana's garage. When I rescued it, its new life consisted of sitting around my guest bedroom being decorative (folded strategically to hide the stains). 





I've had clutches on my mind for a while now, and this week I took the plunge and turned
 this beauty into something functional. The tricky part of this project was preserving the beautiful edge work. My solution was to fold under the edges of the lining and sew it directly to the wrong side of the embroidered piece. Like so:





Though I didn't do any fancy pockets or zippers inside, this was my first attempt at inserting a magnet clasp - it's such an easy, professional touch! I hot glued fabric covered buttons to disguise the stains. 

Ta da!






For more details, come visit me at Wunderbar. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job!

The Renegade Seamstress said...

This is so beautiful! I love how you added the red buttons. Nice touch!
Beth

Refashion said...

The clutch looks beautifully made. A great use for vintage linen.

Debbie
EOD

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Stunning.